May 8, 2012

So I was hating and I got hit by humble pie

As Salaamu Aalaykum,

For some time I've been complaining to my husband, "this company's product is FAR inferior to mine" or "my graphics and facebook app building skills are FAR, FAR, FAR better than this guys" and not to toot my own horn (toot, toot) they are. THEY ARE better, more appealing to the eyes and better coordinated. I mean seriously.  One dude's graphics are horrible, its like what I used to do in the late 90s when I was in elementary school using an equally elementary drawing program. HOWEVER, how the heck do they beat me consistently? Do their customers have no taste? If I showed you some of the work YOU will be asking these same questions.

Anyway, while preparing for my Ramadan project I read this,
"If you cannot get market reach with your message or product or service, whatever it is that you have, then you are irrelevant. That's why mediocre product creators with superb marketing and promotional skills become multimillionaires. I've heard this so many times. "Its not fair. That person's product is so inferior to mine."
 OUCH! How did he hear me?
"That's why some of the mediocre products of the world have made the most money, because they have had better marketers and promoters at the helm. It's not that it's not fair. IT IS FAIR. They just knew what keys to hold, and they held the keys to the kingdom.
One of my competitors is doing crazy amounts of work right now and the orders don't stop coming in. MASHAALLAH. I'm not trying to take away from anyone, I just want some success of my own. So whenever I get these feelings I make du'a for the person's success because I don't want to take away from what they have. So I browsed through my stationery competitors profile and realized that while their product IS inferior to mine they ARE better marketers and promoters. While I'm home taking care of my children and working on my products on the side my competitors are going to fairs, conventions and local bazaars selling and promoting their products. Also ONE of my competitors is a stay at home who attends all the conventions/bazaars she can to promote her line of products so mashaAllah she is hustling and I have no excuse.

The facebook app and graphics guy? Turns out they are targeting the elderly so I'm assuming this demographic is not too tech savvy nor interested in making their own graphics so are a tad more inclined to outsource it to someone else. 

So it is fair. IT IS FAIR that they are kicking my behind. It would be unfair if they didn't.
What's that sound? *SPLAT* That's humble pie my friends. Let me clean myself up.
 
AND am back. I just googled "hating" and I'm not too keen on the meaning but this is what came up "Hating: When one puts down the success or fortune of others due to jealousy." But then again who likes being called a 'hater'? not me.


So I can whine all I want but the truth of the matter is that you need a combination of skill, marketing and promoting skills to achieve success. My competitors aren't using sexism to sell their things (SHOCKING isn't it?), there are no girly bits hanging out, no underhanded tactics, no name smearing or spreading rumors. They simply have their mediocre product (its the truth) and their pushing it like its nobody's business. MashaAllah. More power to them. I should learn from them and implement some of the strategies.


but I dislike marketing. :( SUCK IT UP! SUCK IT UP! and get back to work. Heading over to finish my Ramadan Battle Plan. *le sigh*


Wa Salaam,



1 comment:

SimplyMe said...

Salaams, I feel for you. Sometimes I wish I didn't find such beautiful work of others. It just makes me realize that I am getting nowhere with my hobbies. I would like to earn from them inshaAllah, but sadly haven't found the right outlet for it.
May you find a way to get ahead of the cmpetition with your work inshaAllah.

Followers