May 2, 2012

I'm on FIRE!

In the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Peace be with you السلام عليك

Alhamdulillah, I'm working on a habit course for Ramadan while simultaneously reviewing a habit course and one of the teachers said we shouldn't try waking up early as a new habit since its hard and deals with sleep cycles.

All throughout college (freshman and sophomore years) I was perpetually late to all my 8 AM courses. I would always wake up 30 mins in to a 50 min class and frantically run from my dorm cross the street and head to class...still in pjs. I didn't even stop for the lights it was like I had a death wish or something. Ahh the invincibility of youth.

During this time I was also considering Buddhism and my school had a Roshi (zen master) and he held meditation every morning at 5 am. I ALWAYS made plans for it but NEVER made it not once, even though it was a strong desire of mine and it was a block away in a luxury building (hello, broke college student here).

When I was considering Islam I would tell myself WHY would you join a religion that REQUIRES you to wake up before sunrise? I mean honestly when was the last time you were awake for a sunrise? and not just the one when you had to pull an all nighter JUST to finish a paper. NONE that's right, setting yourself up for failure and 'sin' aren't you? Its better to just stay the way you are sleeping in late risking life and limb in the morning to go to class.

When I did take shahada (end of my sophomore yr) it was as much a surprise to me as anyone else. BUT guess what? I woke up for ALL my fajrs from day one! I mean I went back to sleep after that and risked life and limb later but this time with hijab AND I occasionally stopped for the lights. Then when I stayed up after fajr I would be so CRAZY productive I would scare myself and my professors. So it is possible to change waking up early as a first time habit if it means something to you. The stronger the meaning the more likelihood of following through. Wa Allahu alem


ps, THREE posts in one week? what am I robot. Something is wrong with me I should probably get checked out.


No comments:

Followers