May 25, 2011

ama thug it...yeah that's what I'll do!


I have been reading and currently working on a book review for The Story of Stuff: The Impact of Overconsumption on the Planet, Our Communities, and Our Health-And How We Can Make It Better by Annie Leonard and I have decided that I have too much stuff. DUH! Since the previous post  (HERE) with that lady accusing me of dressing my daughter as a boy and trying to change her, instead of buying new clothes for her I will just make them! I have the skills plus A LOT of clothes that no longer fit me and instead of making tons of diapers for her like I have currently been doing, I should just make clothes.

So that is my goal, for a whole year I will not be purchasing new clothes for my children, instead I will be repurposing what I already have until there is no more. I want to make those frilly dresses (will be taking pics of the items and posting them on this blog) and clothes for my toddler. It feels more personal. Btw, when I mean repurpose my stuff, I don't mean like a couple of shirts or pants, I have BAGS and BAGS of construction grade garbage bags filled with stuff. It costs me more to wash them and donate (some aren't in such great shape) and also more if I wash them and try to sell them online.  Seriously! 

Since my kids do need clothes since they are growing, I might as well do something good for the environment, reduce my spending and reduce the clutter. Apparently doing all of the above enhances your quality of life.

I already own a Portable Mini 2-speed Sewing Machine (price has gone up since I bought it a couple of days ago) and Brother 1034D 3/4 Lay-In Thread Serger. I already have the tools so I will put them to good use.


How about you all? What do you do with your stuff?

2 comments:

Iman (Lifes Balance Beam) said...

Salamualaikum! This is suchhh a good idea! Well i'm sure you've already seen my other blog, and my obsession for fashion, but really... i'm learning that going out and spending on extravagant items back to back like a lot of fashion bloggers do, it's so not worth it. I have WAY too much stuff, and i just gutted my closet because a lot of it was not being put into use, and I have stuff i do actually need but would feel HORRIBLE if i went out and shopped with no room in my closet!
I decided to try to live like a minimalist until my big day when i have a actual reason to go shop lol

but i think you will love these sewing blogs!

http://www.sewmamasew.com/tutorials.php

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/

http://www.sewchicandunique.com

they all have links to other awesome blogs!

Oh and You should think about making baby clothes and diapers, getting little logos for them or making them yourself and putting them on etsy! They would sell like hot cakes, and maybe find some rice paper liners for the diapers to throw in as a like a little "extra perk"

Okay done rambling!

.::Tuttie::. said...

GURRRL! jazakaAllah khayran! man that is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I am still cleaning my room and sorting what I will be 'donating' to my kiddos. :)

Followers