April 20, 2011

WORK IT!

Not gonna lie, I DID consider pole dancing (AS AN EXERCISE ROUTINE NOT A CAREER) but only after I became Muslim and by then I was fully covered and no options of where to learn.  If you have been following my blog for sometime you know I LOVE learning, dissecting what I learn and moving on to another topic and pole dancing (in the privacy of my home) was one of those topics.  Anyway, I saw this article on American Bedu's blog and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the image or that  someone in the KSA would sponsor it. (which I guess means am guilty of stereotyping)
"Because there’s no history of strip clubs or pole dancing, most men would think women were just learning a new form of exercise – ironically in a place where religion and judgement plays such a large role, pole suffers from fewer preconceived connotations or moral judgements.

My client’s husband didn’t try the pole while I was there, but he didn’t try because he felt he lacked the strength, not because of pole dancing’s less salubrious roots." read more

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, its just that I have never seen it before and if you don't read the article you can misconstrue it.  First thing that came to mind was grip as all that fabric would most definitely create a hazard.    I wonder if it will be an even more effective workout since she basically has only her hand grip? or make her a HULK?

^^That takes skills! I lost most of my upper body strenght so I doubt I can hold that position for long. I would face plant so badly and leave my ego so hurt from ever trying it again. lol. Next thing....where would they get poles in KSA?  Is she certifying anyone? I am still hung up about the pictures only because the two seem POLAR OPPOSITES.

On a related note my friend and I were discussing a fellow sister's desire to buy and learn to pole exercise and we were laughing our butts off only because we were picturing the above (although now that I see it...it aint all that funny).  Anyway we were always going back to "what if your kid walks in to your room and asks, mommy, whats the pole for?" the sister (who wants the pole) said, "what? its just a pole."

It is just a pole but our prejudices can't just leave it at that.  If a service like that was offered in my vicinity I would take it as I like trying things at least once.  What about you?

all pics belong to PoleExercise.co.uk

10 comments:

♡ αmαℓ said...

Salaam alaikum

Oh wow... I know this is probably horrible of me, but I totally LOL'd at those pictures! It is just so unexpected, I don't know what to say hahaha

.::Tuttie::. said...

@Amal. You know when my friend and I are were giggling like school girls imagining someone like that it was hilarious. FOr some reason once I see pics of what we were talking about it isn't funny anymore but wrong....

what has changed? I have no idea. Kinda like maybe I shouldn't even be looking at them or sneaking a peak inside someone's bedroom.

Iman (Lifes Balance Beam) said...

Oh man! Me AND my mom have been searching high and low for private classes in my area, and even thought of getting a pole to out in our living room (removable of course) and getting dvds lol. I thought i was the only one, but i realllly want too! it would not only build strength, but make u feel good!

ummaadam said...

i think its a private thing not something to be done in front of sisters. for one thing its looks quite seducive (sp?). and another, i would imagine that the awrah would be exposed if in a class environment while learning to do it (tight pants/clothes etc.)

but...i think it would be a great way of getting fit and wouldnt mind doing it but i reckon i would break into fits of laughter every few minutes i reckon lol

i dont get those pictures, why are they wearing hijavb while doing it? thats just silly. i know they put hijab on for the photos but i cant imagine any sane muslimah wearing hijab like that while attempting to do poling. just silly and unsafe i would think.

:S

Xo Xo...Sweet Success! said...

You totally made me giggle reading this with the pictures! :D

NikkiNicole said...

2 funny!
LOL....I have a pole.
It's the best (private) workout EVER!!
As soon as I move I am going to put it back up & get my dance on.
When I used to use it my stomach looked freakin fabulous & after this baby I need to snap it back quick, fast!!

.::Tuttie::. said...

@Nikki. if ONLY you lived closer! :( you could teach me and I wouldn't feel weird.

NikkiNicole said...

....unless it's the girl in the pic thats teaching you...LOL

NikkiNicole said...

That would be awesome!
Taj would be like "Ya'll are weird!"...lol
It's really easy to learn & even your arms get toned really nice =}

If we come out that way this Summer, i'll bring the pole with me...LOL

They do have videos to teach you ...I dunno what these "teachers" look like tho..lol.
Probably wont want hubbs in the room while your learnig =)

.::Tuttie::. said...

damn straight I wouldn't want him in the room! but then I probably shouldn't we looking at them either....CATCH 22!

you coming would be too awesome...we could arrange a rendezvous at a predetermined place and then switch it last minute to make it more exciting! plus hubs wouldn't agree so it will most likely go down this way...

Followers