August 27, 2010

Facebook...you ticking me off

Apparently facebook just launched a new thing called "facebook places" It is a feature that lets users "check in" to Facebook using a mobile device to let a user's friends know where they are at the moment.  CREEEPY. VERY, VERY CREEPY.  If I wanted people to know where I was I would SAY so and post it on my status. Imagine all the weird friend requests you have gotten over time and sometimes out of curiosity accepted them.  Do you really want them to know where you live?

Or for those who have teenagers using facebook do you want the people on their friends list to know their exact location?  Well do you?  HELL NO.  Spread the word so inshaAllah people are aware and can choose to turn it off or keep it.

I use facebook a lot to network and I had some issues with stalkers before I definitely do not like this at all. I am seriously considering not going back to facebook if these sneak attacks continued. I wasn't even notified. I found out via a friends post. So far this new feature is only 2 days old so we don't know what the effects will be but as of now I DISTRUST IT.  Thankfully facebook is allowing you to turn it off. So here is a step by step tutorial to turn it off.

This is the link http://www.facebook.com/editaccount.php?notifications and you can skip to #3 or you can do it step by step.




1) go to"Account"



2) "Account Settings"



3) "Notifications", then scroll down to "Places" ...and uncheck the 2 boxes. Make sure to SAVE changes




EDIT: Irendi says that this is not enough you have to go to privacy settings and scroll down to "Places I check in to" and choose ONLY ME.  The one beneath that says "Places I check in to" uncheck.  THEN inshaAllah you will be safe.

5 comments:

Irendi said...

Hey...that only turns off the notifications that "tell" someone about it. You actually have to go into your Privacy settings, customize them..and disable the ability for others to "check you in" I did both to be on the safe side.

caraboska said...

Thanks for info. Done :D

.::Tuttie::. said...

OMG THANK YOU IRENDI!!! will update post

jana z. said...

thanks!! ive now fixed both my and my daughters pages.

سمــا Samaa said...

The thing that annoys me the most is besides all these applications and stuff that expose information is people exposing so much about themselves in a very naive way. I don't know if they can`t imagine negative consequences or are they looking at the bright side that I'm blinded from and can't figure it out! Yes there is too much exposure going on and it is creepy. I wish if many can think of it that way-> C.R.E.E.P.Y.

Followers