July 8, 2010

sorta of a rant....

nah, its a total rant.  

As you guys know I have a couple of pages dealing with niqab, hijab and sisterhood.  I LOVE interacting with the fans but lately the majority are just pissing me off.  It's like sisterhood in Islam is only extended to people who look, dress and act just like them.  It's disappointing.  I try to remind myself that this is the online world and I can't really verify if they really are Muslims and not some trolls.  I hope its just trolls but one never knows for sure.  I posted some pictures of AWESOME niqabs from around the world and out of every 5 comments only one was positive.  The usual response is 

"that's not niqab"
"those colors are haraam"
"that niqab is NOT according to the Qur'an and sunnah"

And a lot of others stuff but they never actually show "proper niqab" or even their proofs for claiming what conforms to the Qur'an and sunnah. They are NEVER happy. I posted this pic and people were upset.
The majority were like "its haraam to imitate the kuffar and its not Islamic clothing."  This argument really sends me over the edge and I wrote a rant about it on my hijab blog you can read it hereTHERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ISLAMIC CLOTHING!! There are only clothes that conform to the Islamic dress code but that's it.  Unless you can prove to me that the Prophet (saw) came up with a new wardrobe that the people had never seen before there is no such thing as "Islamic clothing".  Rather they took from what was compatible in their time and covered their bodies. And since when does a group of people have patent rights over colors or styles that have been worn for centuries?  

What else is apparently NOT niqab? The following
Bedouin women of wahayba desert.

 
Yemeni shepherd girl

Sudanese Niqabi

No mentioned of excuses or anything, they attacked the yellow because of the color and then moved on to the intentions of this woman wearing the niqab.  HOW THE HECK ARE YOU GONNA KNOW THAT? Wouldn't it had been easier to say, not my style but to each their own? or maybe it was her wedding day?

It's like its ONLY hijab or niqab if it looks just like theirs forgetting that Islam encompasses MANY races and cultures and they have their OWN styles.  Don't thinks its hijab, niqab or sunnah? then don't wear it but you better have darn good reason if you are going to bash someone else for wearing it.  I still can't get over the questioning of the women's intentions for wearing it.  WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF and YOUR intentions!

I have NOT experienced this offline which makes me think these internet warriors are just saying what they are saying because they can hide "anonymously" behind their computer monitors forgetting that Allah swt SEES and KNOWS all that we do.

5:8 O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm for Allah , witnesses in justice, and do not let the hatred of a people prevent you from being just. Be just; that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allah; indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what you do.

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُونُوا قَوَّامِينَ لِلَّهِ شُهَدَاءَ بِالْقِسْطِ ۖ وَلَا يَجْرِمَنَّكُمْ شَنَآنُ قَوْمٍ عَلَىٰ أَلَّا تَعْدِلُوا ۚ اعْدِلُوا هُوَ أَقْرَبُ لِلتَّقْوَىٰ ۖ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ خَبِيرٌ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ

RANT OVA....

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

I can't say that I'm surprised...those niqab photos are just lovely btw. Mashallah to all the different people and cultures of this ummah.

LK said...

You tell them girl!

I love the photos by the way. So beautiful.

caraboska said...

I recently saw a video on YouTube entitled something to the effect of 'This is not niqab'. And they showed all these items, some of which were quite ornamental, some of which were quite modest. And then at the end, they showed their 'only true niqab' - a ghashwa with all the screens down. Apparently for these folks, if you can see the lady's eyes, it's not 'real niqab'. For what it's worth. I myself don't believe niqab is fard for a Muslim woman - at most mustahab - so I don't see where these folks are coming from.

Candice said...

I feel your frustration! I've been dealing with similar things and it's getting a bit ridiculous. I love the pictures you posted!

Jen said...

Oh dear. I think some people need to get a life if they spend that much time on the internet complaining about what is niqab and what is not.

I should send a picture of myself to you, Tuttie. You can post it on your little fan page and see how many "non-hijab" comments we get. Oh my heck, I am wearing torquise eyeliner and lip gloss. A comment could me: "Oh my God, she is a hijabi whore." LOL!

Don't let their being idiots ruin your day. Just let it roll of you shoulder -- be better than them.

Personally...I love all those pictures. The yellow one is my favorite. I'd wear it! And the bride looks beautiful.

Anya said...

I swear, this is why women of the middle east/asia cannot progress. We not only let men step on us. But we women help them by STEPPING ON OURSELVES....WTH!!! Those pics are great. Haters, GET A LIFE AND GO SMELL A ROSE(or your own feet)!!!!

Iman (Lifes Balance Beam) said...

Wowwww mashaallah the bride niqaabi is BEAUTIFUL i never seen that before but i love it! and wth at least shes sticking too her niqab and not wearing black on her wedding day liek shes mourning or something!! ugh people kill me

every culture has different styles liek u said, and im tired of people thinking that saudi is the only style u can use because its all black! oh please, no sheikh ever said all black is waajib so stuff it!

AlabasterMuslim said...

Those women are so beautiful! Mashallah I love their clothes. If I could get my hands on something like the woman in the third picture is wearing I would!! I'm not surprised that people are complaining...I guess they are saying its not niqab/hijab because they are wearing bright colors? Or make up? Well, they might be right (idk lol) but still they should focus on themselves and be happy the sisters are at least covering themselves mashallah! Plus, at least two of those pictures are most likely at a wedding which could or could not have been taken in front of men. You just never know.

Anyway, yeah I want the outfit in the third pic lol mashallahhh!!

NtN said...

Yeah, I noticed that too. I actually stopped commenting and coming around because people were so negative. Maybe you could mention the ayat about deeming the halaal haraam and tell them to knock it off?

(BTW, I love the niqaabi bridal pictures. MashaAllah, she looks so beautiful and it is such a big day for a woman.)

Iman (Lifes Balance Beam) said...

I forgot to add, people also have to realize that niqab/hijab/color styles vary from different regions around the world, and also vary from culture. just as you have different style abayas, in sudan women dress with bright colors, and henna and they wear gold out everywhere, vs saudi women wear the overhead abayas in all black with niqab, in egypt women wear the asdails or long shoulder to kneww khimars (i call them capes) with niqab etc... so in their cultures this is NOT unusual, but being in america... dont they think niqaab is very unusal for this culture? Just saying! (btw im not knocking the niqab, i used to be a niqabi, and trying to return!)

caraboska said...

I only watched to the end of the clip because I was curious what their idea of 'proper niqab' was. I suppose I should have known. But then again, I've never met anyone who seriously thought eye coverage was fard...

ZORRO said...

Well said Tutti!!! I couldn't agree with you more. The sad thing also is when men think the only Sunnah clothes allowed are Sharwar Kurtas... Yah Allah!! Keep up the good word and keep telling it like it is!!! :D

Followers