June 23, 2010

I am a victim of my own success. sigh.

die baby cakes! DIE!

Well, first let me give you some background, although I raised my brothers since they were very little as soon as I left the house its like all my children skills were left with them.  I couldn't coo or play with a baby "uchie kuchiee kuu" crap to save my life.  I couldn't even read their books without sounding like I was reading a dissertation on why earth worms are better than regular worms. Matter of fact after my friends started having kids I used to "play" with them at an arms length and I preferred to interact with the adults.  I was just physically uncomfortable with children specially babies and toddlers. 

Last awkward situation was me and my friend "Lisa" coming back from a lunch with another friend and she was singing "row, row, row, your boat" to her daughter and she wanted me to chime in and I froze.  YEAH.  Fast forward two years and I give birth  to my baby boy.  I remember calling my friend and CRYING that my son and I weren't bonding because I treated him like an adult and he wanted me to coo at him.  She laughed her hijab off but I was serious!  SubhanaAllah. Anyway after trying everything in my book to bond with my son I overcame my shyness to baby talk him and to play and make up stupid songs about his toes and what not.  (yes am I am red with embarrassment right now, apparently am still working on it).

Anyway I have been taking him to the library for the past couple of months (maybe 3-4) and he has picked out his books.  At first I used to read to him like I would a medical journal.  I have since changed.  Changing my voice to fit the different characters, describing what the characters are doing, maybe even tell him the colors of their clothing.  Anything to make the experience more enjoyable to him.  WELL PEOPLE I did such an amazing job (alhamdulillah, mashaAllah) that my son makes me read his favorite books 6,7,8,9,10,11 or MORE times in ONE sitting a day.

oh dear LORD!

First it was Whose Toes are Those? by Jabari Asim. I HAVE IT MEMORIZED! "whose toes are those? who do you supposed has such fine toes? so brown and sweet who could have such darling feet. Ten little lovelies all in a row" SHOOT ME NOW!

Then it was Pajama Time! by Sandra Boynton.  "the moon has set, its getting late, lets get ready to celebrate, its pajama time...pajammy to the left, pajammy to the right! jamma jamma jamma PAJAMA TIME"

 NOW ITS BABY CAKES! And it goes like this "baby cakes, baby cakes I LOVE YOU, baby cakes, baby cakes YES I DO! Kiss my little Baby Cakes on the nose, oh my little baby cakes taste so sweet."
OMG people. O-M-G. I feel like some part of me has crawled up and DIED somewhere along with some brain cells and am pretty sure some self esteem.  Ah, but you should hear him squeal when I act out the books.  As soon as I finish and say "THE END" you here "MO, MO, MO book, baby baby" and am like 
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
"baby cakes, baby cakes, I LOVE YOU, baby cakes baby cakes yes I DO" here is the bear and here is the baby look at them hugging. Now repeat this scenario 8 or more times RIGHT after finishing the book.  Its like on the one hand I LOVE it that he is enjoying the books and likes me to read to him on the other my ribs cannot handle anymore of these hard covered books being shoved their to get my attention.  I tell you, am a victim of my own success.

DIE BABY CAKES! DIE!

7 comments:

.::Tuttie::. said...

oh, I forgot Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino. "is your mama a llama i asked my friend dave, no she is not is the answer dave gave"

It's like torture you want it to end but then your little one enjoys it so much that you are willing to work through the pain. sigh. Motherhood. Alhamdulillah.

LK said...

Aw hon lol thats so cute but lol I get it. This use to happen to me when I regularly baby sat. They'd make me read it over and over and over cause I could do all the voices.

AlabasterMuslim said...

The best part has yet to come Tuttie. Soon your son will have it all memorized (if he doesn't already) and he will start reciting it himself haha.


We bought a princess (snow white) book for my four year old sister (at the time) and in it snow white was a little diva, so my sister went around going "OH MY GOD grumpy, you need to sooo get over yourself!"

Jaz said...

That's cute though! I'm not a mother but babysitting can be so exhausting, so every night must be even more so.

AlabasterMuslim your little sister sounds hilarious.

Bubbli said...

awwwww how cute MashAllah!!! just wait till he can read for himself, he'll make YOU sit down and listen to him a gazillion times, lol!

.::Tuttie::. said...

oh, its not only at night its a couple of times a day people. A COUPLE of times a DAY!

CareMuslimah said...

Is it just me, or is it super ironic that the author's name is Karma? LOL

Poor dear. But alhamdulillah you have a beautiful son who adores it when you read to him :) mashallah

Followers