June 29, 2010

Dogs in Islam (AWESOME article)

Educate yourself and don't go around hiding behind "its against my religion" when you clearly don't even know what your religion says about it other than what you heard and or read on the internet.  This isn't directed at anyone person but rather EVERYONE who has a beating heart.
Healthy, happy animals belonging to Muslims are also brought in to be put to death. This is a very disturbing and un-Islamic action. If one cannot afford to feed, shelter, and maintain one’s animals, and a new home cannot be found for them, take them to one of the many animal welfare organizations where there is at least a chance of the animal’s finding a new home. The real tragedy is that many of these Muslims still do this in the name of Islam and openly express such ignorant views. This contributes to propaganda against Islam. When a non-Muslim is cruel to an animal, it is considered an individual’s action, but when a Muslim does it, non-Muslims see it as an Islamic practice.               Check out the full article HERE
Now I am a devout animal lover, if I see you being cruel to an animal and or abusing an animal I will cut ALL ties with you.  If you cannot have mercy for those who clearly cannot defend themselves and depend on you for their sustenance and shelter you cannot be trusted to be any where near my children.  In the USA in psych, criminal justice and forensic classes we were taught that serial killers and psycho paths begin their descent in to evil by being cruel to animals.  Nearly every violent crime offender has had some kind of history of being abusive to animals.  THEREFORE I do not trust anyone who willingly causes harms to any living creation of Allah swt.  I think it is completely haraam and there have been mentions in hadiths about ppl going to hell fire for starving a cat and not allowing it to fend for itself either.  SO if you cannot handle the responsibility and AMANAH from Allah swt to care for these animals DO NOT get one.  

Also getting a pet for your children as a toy is NOT humane and definitely NOT a good idea.  Animals aren't toys and they need a lot of attention and time more so than what the average child can give it.  The below is taken from the same site...

Let me clarify a few myths and make a few points:

1. It is NOT haraam to own a dog, though it is not hygienic to keep a dog in the house.

2. It is NOT haraam to touch a dog or any other animal. If the saliva of a dog touches you or any part of your clothing, then it is required of you to wash the body part touched and the item of clothing touched by the dog’s mouth or snout.

3. It is incumbent upon all Muslims who own animals, whether for farming or work purposes or as pets, to provide adequate shelter, food, water, and, when needed, veterinary care for their animals. Arrangements must be made, if one is going to be away from home, to have one’s animals taken care of as well.

4. It is haraam to keep a dog or any other animal on a short lead for long periods without food, water, and shelter. Dogs need exercise and are social creatures who form organized “family” structures in nature. Dog owners therefore need to spend time daily with their dogs.

5. It is cruel, and therefore haraam, to keep any animal in a cage so small that it cannot behave in a natural way.

6. Fireworks cause untold suffering to most domestic animals because of their acute sense of hearing.

7. It is haraam to participate in any blood “sport,” like dog fighting and trophy hunting.

No animal has been cursed in any way. Animals are referred to in many instances in the Qu’ran. In Surah Kahf, mention is made of the companions of the Cave and their dog. (S18: 18-22)

We would love for Allah to bestow His mercy upon us, so let’s show mercy and compassion to all His creation. This will also give non-Muslims a true reflection of Islam, aiding da’wah.

There are many Muslims who care well for their animals, and this article is aimed at those who are misinformed.                    
Check out the full article HERE

So educate yourself because unfortunately everything we do is attributed to Islam so try to put your best foot forward.  NOT to mention Allah swt sees ALL that you do  and you cannot lie to him so behave like you should from the get go.

7 comments:

Kaighla said...

SubhanAllah. It's so weird you wrote this because I am visiting my family (non-Muslim) who own a very active, very large, very friendly dog that loves to lick all over me and my husband, usually right before we pray, and it is driving my husband crazy. But I keep telling him that since my family already thinks wudu is ridiculous anyway (why does peeing mean you cant pray without washing your face and ears and feet and such? that is illogical and ridiculous), he shouldnt tell them why he doesnt like the dog (it licks him and ruins his wudu). They would laugh their asses off more than before. ha ha. He is really very friendly and that's why he licks and such, but it does get annoying.

LK said...

This is great info. Many Muslims are misinformed about dogs. I was telling my friends how my parents wanted to get a dog and they all gasped like I was going to murder someone. My one friend replied "Muslims cant have dogs!!! You can't go to your parents house if they have a dog!" Now, that isnt true, but for some reason my friends have this irrational fear of dogs. Like they are the spawn of the devil or something O_O

CATGIRL !! said...

Hey deary.. love ur blog outlook and ur religious thoughts. Such a great spiritual awakening. I am a female writer and MBA from Karachi, Pakistan Best of Luck for ur blogging..and i m joining ur blog . Care to be my follower too- if u like my blog??
http://relationships-catgirl.blogspot.com/

AlabasterMuslim said...

One thing though, it is haraam to have a dog if its not for farming, or guarding. If you own one for any other reason (example, for a toy like you said) your good deeds decrease by a 'qirat' a day. Not sure if thats the exact word, but its a unit of measurement. Anyway, read it in Al-Bukhari.

I have a pitbull. Its about four months old and soooo cute!

Banana Anne said...

@ Alabaster: PITBULL PUPPY!!!! Masha'Allah! My family owns a big standard poodle, and I love him so much. I generally follow rulings from the Maliki school, and it says that dog saliva does not break wudu. As much as I love my dog, I will most likely not have a dog when I have my own family because I wouldn't want him to live in the house (unless we live on a farm or something, where it would be feasible to let the dog live outside the house). Even though I wouldn't keep one as a pet, I still love dogs for their loyalty, great personalities, and sheer adorableness. And, Insha'Allah, if I make it to Jannah I will ask to have my poodle by my side as a companion.
@ LK: I know, almost all of my Muslim friends are completely freaked out by dogs and when they see one will run away from it.

sara said...

What is haram is treating dogs like humans, some even better than children.Like all Allah's creations dogs have a purpose.
I hate a licking dog, you see them licking their behinds and that of other dogs and them their "human masters" kisses them and let them lick their child's face,so disgusting

.::Tuttie::. said...

@sara. TOTALLY agree. There needs to be a balanced where you just let these animals be animals and not some toys of ours or pseudo babies.

I was referring though to animal cruelty and abuse of defenseless animals.

Followers