April 24, 2010

Parenthood LOVE and Forever Young

In the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Peace be with you السلام عليكم

I am stuck on Parenthood (2010 tv series) specially the theme song (pasted below the post).  Its so mellow. Part of the reason I watch this show is because it feels real and frightening and funny.  I guess that is how parenthood feels like?  My favorite couple is Max's parents (he has Asperger's syndrome) and it terrifies me.  I make du'a that Allah swt doesn't test me with mental health challenges in my family but I also submit to His will and will take everything He has written for me.  When I was pregnant with my first baby I used to make du'a that if there were any physical abnormalities that He swt heals them, if there were any mental deficiencies that he fix them and so on. 

I know it is not the end of the world if a child is diagnosed with whatever they are diagnosed with.  Its more of the parent's inadequacies and all the dreams and hopes for the future WE have (keyword WE) that we feel die when diagnosed.  Like your child won't be accepted socially, that they won't be successful or that they will never get married and live in harmony with someone else.  Like I said TERRIFYING. 

My hubs and I have had arguments because he feels that some of the Muslim kids in our neighborhood don't aspire to be much past high school.  Like they think working at a foot locker is super cool and some don't even think they could even land that job.  Now, personally they are in their mid teens to early twenties and working in the mall is super awesome because this is the time when you are in to clothes and what better way to earn some money AND get a discount on your favorite sneakers?  I say GOOD FOR THEM!  

This is the way I see it, the kids want a burger and my husband is saying "NO, why don't you have this cheese steak instead?"  What is wrong with them wanting a burger?  I know I don't aspire to be a janitor but if someone I know wants to be a janitor I will help them become a janitor.  Whats wrong with that?  Not all of us must be engineers, doctors or lawyers.  You can help the people around them by helping them achieve THEIR dreams.  KWIM? Stop vicariously living through others and accept your failures and successes. Anyway rant/fight over.

here is the song...isn't beautiful?
May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

Artist  : Bob Dylan
Song : Forever Young

No comments:

Followers