April 4, 2010

I got hopelessly lost and the moral of Repo Men

In the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Peace be with you السلام عليكم

I wanted to let you all know that I successfully drove in to New York City by myself and managed to get hopelessly lost.  Reason? I had a HORRIBLE craving and my husband said he wouldn't go in to the city for my platter of 53rd and 6th also referred to as CRACK MEAT. I really do believe they MUST add something to that plate because it is absolutely addictive.  Side note: they are the ONLY street vendors I buy from and they are zabiha halal.

I somehow ended on canal street because some dude blocked me from my exit and instead made a right (5 streets later) hoping to get to west side highway and instead ended up nearly on a couple of tunnels and bridges.  Dang, Manhattan has bridges EVERYWHERE.  I have no idea the streets that I cruised but I nearly got in to a couple of accidents because those darn cabbies cut me off or nearly hit me a COUPLE of times.  *shakes fist*  I did some pretty awesome maneuvering to get out of some near hits, tight spots and construction work. I also ALMOST hit the bull on wall street because the road split and I was on the right and that leads to some tunnel (have NO idea which one) so I cut sharply to the left. Because if I had left Manhattan to go to one of the other boroughs I knew it would take me longer to get home and gas prices in NY are expensive. 
At one point I saw a sign for the Staten Island ferry so I truly have no idea where I was.  Anyway, my husband who didn't think I would ACTUALLY go to NYC so late at night and by myself (I hadn't driven since August 2009 and NEVER in NY) was besides himself at home because I was lost and we don't own a GPS.  He wanted to give me directions but lets face it I didn't know the street names so what good would it have done?

I decided that despite being in lower Manhattan with a niqab and alone I was going to find myself a police officer and get him or her to help me out.  Those cabbies would have been nice but they were part of the reason I was lost in the first place.  And in my quest for a police officer (where the hell are they when you WANT them to be there?) I found my way.  Just like that.  I found my way.  Alhamdulillah.  Oh, and when I found my way I also noticed my lights were off. I turned them off for some reason the first time my husband started blasting my phone so I pulled over to answer it. OOPS. So maybe it was a good thing I didn't find a cop after all.  Made it to 53rd found parking with no problem and got my platter.

Anyway, made it home safely at 12AM and was stumped by our parking spot *ruined my triumphant homecoming*.  Last time I tried to park in it I scratched the car (August) hadn't attempted to park the car since or even drive since.  After 15mins of trying and pathetically not getting the job done I looked for off street parking and found one! yay!

NOW on to Repo Men which I also watched today.
The moral is "its better to have a smart enemy than a stupid friend."    ouch, but true. If Jake hadn't tried to keep his friend Remy from leaving the job, Jake would still have a life and a family.  Yeah, and you thought you couldn't learn anything from tv or the movies.  Is it sad that I thought we are probably not too far away from that movie being our reality?

PS. what the hell was I thinking going to NYC alone on a club night? I mean just the thought of that I see bumper to bumper traffic in my head.  Gawd what was I thinking? SIDE NOTE: I really do have a built in gps system in my head.  I can find my way from anywhere and I did, without help or directions from others.  MashaAllah.  I was nervous though.

1 comment:

AlabasterMuslim said...

Yayyy alhamdullilah you found your way. I have not seen repo men yet, so i skipped that bit of your post. Sorry, but I can't risk any spoilers!

Followers