April 26, 2010

DON'T VOTE! Don't you know you are not supposed to do that?

In the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Peace be with you السلام عليكم

I was browsing my facebook 'home' and I noticed a picture stating that if you are Muslim you shouldn't vote.  WHAT?! The reason all these crazy laws against us are coming in to place (or have already been in place) is because of our political apathy.  If you didn't vote than your voice was not counted.  How the hell are you going to make change then? by violence? BY WHAT PEACEFUL METHOD?  Allah swt helps those who help themselves are you going to sit there and wait for change to happen?  (and yes they used HALF of a verse to prove their point) 

I hate this kind of mentality.  Hate it with a passion not only is it irresponsible but dangerous.  And these people who encourage Muslims not to vote are the same people moaning and complaining when unfair laws and regulations are enacted.  Well what did you expect?  You think politicians are guided by their morals?   That laws are decided by chance and an 8 ball? NO.  These people are CAREER Politicians that means that they will do just about anything to stay in power and guess how they come in to power? yup, because someone voted them in.  If you are not part of their constituents why would they listen to you?  out of the goodness of their hearts? 

OMG.  As Muslims we are told we HAVE to obey the law of the land and if you are not voting for the very people who make those very laws what chance do we have that those laws wont go against our religion? Come on!  I rather have some influence in the laws I am being ordered to follow. Just seems like common sense.

Look up our history when women and African Americans weren't allowed to vote in the USA, look at HOW many unfair laws were out there.  For goodness sake a woman of colored didn't have any legal recourse for rape until well in to the 1920's (although I think it was MUCH later).  Aren't we supposed to stand up for justice? aren't we?  How can we do that if we are not even part of the conversation?  

As a Latina I see all the discriminatory laws enacted against Latinos and for the most part my community does not vote.  It was probably after Clinton that we actually started going out and voting by numbers and guess what?  if you listen to any pundit during elections they are always mentioning how the candidates are courting the latino vote.  I wonder how that magically happen?

You think you will be safe because your vote did not elect a tyrant? Really? So you think Allah swt wont question you WHY you did NOTHING while a tyrant was elected?  please.  Sometimes the people we have to choose from aren't the greatest so if you think you could do a better job than RUN FOR OFFICE!  At the very least choose the lesser of two evils.  SubhanAllah!  If you choose to live in this country WAKE UP and become part of this society.  Life shouldn't just be something that HAPPENS to us, we should be actively affecting life.

RANT Ova

4 comments:

.::Tuttie::. said...

do you think a niqab ban would have the same likelihood of being passed in a community where the Muslims are voting? I don't think so.

AlabasterMuslim said...

When I first heard it was haraam I thought it was so ridiculous. I feel the same way. How can we put our voice out there if we don't even try? I remembered the 'follow the rules of the land' and that reassures me that it is not haraam. However I have not read or heard a fatwa so I do not go around to others telling them if its haraam or halal.

.::Tuttie::. said...

no problem :) thanks for asking.

Bubbli said...

great post, by the way i sent u an email with my new email address. did u receive it.

Followers