March 18, 2010

Tattoos

In the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Peace be with you السلام عليكم

I ALWAYS wanted to get a tattoo to express how cool I was or how 'deep' I thought about poems and existentialist crap. THANK GOD I NEVER DID. I get tatts are a private thing but I rarely ever encountered a TRULY original and awesome tatt. It usually was the latest trend of tribal ink or a saying in foreign language we don't even know just to prove something to someone. I NEVER bought the "am doing this for me" bs because lets be honest if that is true ,why are you taking pics of it and posting it on facebook? or putting it in places that are not private at all and then asking people's opinions. Fishing for compliments anyone?

Anyway, I got a link to 'cool' celeb tattoos and I was kinda sad for them. Because love may not last but ink is almost forever (unless you can afford painful laser removal surgery). Most of them had tattoos of their ex's names and they had already moved on to other people. Awkward. I would feel so stupid if I had gotten someone's name and I am now hating their guts, its like every time am changing I would see that name and curse at my stupidity. Or one had the date she got married tattooed and a couple of months later was divorced. Personally I wouldn't want people to remind me of my failures let alone have it ON my person at all times. ouch.

I found out that a couple of people started practicing zen Buddhism and a mystic version of Judaism and the moment after they converted they tattooed their beliefs on their bodies. At first I thought it was SOOO cool because it showed their commitment and tatts are supposed to be about meaning and what more meaning than a new found faith? As they grew in their faiths they came to realize that tattoos were forbidden in their new faiths and they were devestated. When I became Muslim in '06 someone suggested I get the shahada or a verse of the Qur'an tattooed above my heart (so I wouldn't forget). ALHAMDULILLAH I DID NOT LISTEN! Imagine? omg. How embarrassing would that have been?

What tattoo(s) would I have gotten?
looking back it sounds so CORNY but, I would have gotten a snake slithering from the top of my neck and end in my lower back (above where the traditional tramp stamp is found). I know, I know, stupid and corny. I thought I had this really cool design and the slithering snake had hidden messages and stuff (did it myself). Another design I had was that of a black panther as I was in to that animal at the time. I later decided to be 'original' by getting my name in bar code on the back of my neck. Alhamdulillah I started seeing a couple of elderly ladies that had tattoos and I noticed that my skin may be nice and tight right now because am young but it will eventually get wrinkled. I mean its only natural. After seeing their 'cool' tattoos look SOOOOOOOOO not cool and plain ugly I decided that when I get wrinkled I didn't want to emphasize the wrinkles by having ink on my skin, I wanted to age with grace (inshaAllah). phew. THANK YOU ladies.


ps. me hearted the tramp stamps for a while until a friend knocked some sense in to me. If you are reading this, I thank you.

10 comments:

AlabasterMuslim said...

LOL. Tramp Stamps. So funny. Have to admit I use to want some. I always wanted a turtle tattooed below my ankle.

.::Tuttie::. said...

how could i forget the turtle!!! I mean after all I loved those buggers and Tuttie was my fave turtle. I MISS YOU TUTTIE!

tisk tisk.

Kiddy said...

The Bible says we are not to put a mark on our bodies,neither have I ever wanted to except for eyebrows and to outline my lips,I like really thick juicy lips,don't you?.But alas it looks like I have to wear eye brows a la Jean Harlow and Marlene Dietrich for the rest of my life.Anyway,I take God's laws seriously like Deborah.

lala said...

I used to want a man holding a gun and walking after a blue jay on my back to symbolize my great-grandfathers suicide story b/c it ended up affecting my life so deeply. I'm glad I didn't needless to say!

NtN said...

MashaAllah, you made the right choice. I read (right after I converted) that the prayers of those who are tattooed are not accepted. *cue freak out* Alhamdulillah, if you get them before you convert and can't get them removed without doing harm to yourself (and they aren't offensive), inshaAllah it's one of the sins wiped away. They're totally not worth it though.

You can get the tinier ones excised, but it's still a scar.

Gabby Hijabi said...

unfortunately i went down the whole "let's see how many holes i can put in my body" phase.. i removed all the piercings except for the ears.. i had 3.. but the tats.. well thats a different story.. thought i would be in love forever with Edi Marin so i thought i would get his name tat'd on my arm.. then 3 months later he went crazy and cut me.. i left and the rest is history.. am hoping to get the 2 u have removed.. i feel stupid to have ever gone down that road..

Candice said...

There are definitely tattoos that are just not smart to get (like boyfriend's name) and so many that are just corny and will be meaningless in no time (like tribal at the bottom of the back, your own name, etc.) But I think there can be meaningful and beautiful tattoos. It's often not the ones we see and that are displayed... I've always wanted one and probably wouldn't get any, but if I did, it'd be for me. It would be in a place that the public cannot see.

Maryam said...

lol

Im guilty of this. I remember wanting to get a tat when I was a younging; to be original and unique and "cool" ppffft yeah right. so happy i didn't.

Texan after UAE said...

Thank God I never wanted one. Was to scared of the pain. LOL

LovieDrea said...

I have 2 tattoos and I forget that they are there most of the time lol I was 17 when I got them done haha I thought I was sooo cool...

Followers