February 23, 2010

NOT Funny

In the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Peace be with you السلام عليكم

I have a guilty pleasure called The Secret Life of the American Teenager and I liked it the first season and hate it the second. I know its supposed to be like a cautionary tale of teenage pregnancy but they talk about sex ALL the time, like every other line. I went to high school and sex was a topic but not THE topic. We talked about a lot more things and I was in a poor neighborhood (so you would think we would be 'bad' but geez compared to these kids we were angels). FYI I graduated in 2003.

Anyway the writing is kind of sketchy at times but there is something I DO NOT forgive and I don't care how much I like a show and that is trivializing assault on a minor. In one of the shows Grace (the good Christian girl) decides to go against her parents and see the boy they told her NOT to see. Something goes wrong and she has to wait for her ride in the corner of the local bank at midnight (way pass her curfew). Two guys in a truck (drinking beer) pull up and one gets out and tries to force her in to the truck saying "will give you a ride if you give us a ride first." GROSS.

She tries to run and dial 911 but the guy grabs her and she falls to the ground. She makes a quick prayer sees the bottle of beer the guy dropped and picks it up and breaks it on the fire hydrant. Her rescuer/ride arrives without a shirt (long story) and the men drive off. This is caught in the bank's security cameras and it is played in a loop in the morning news BUT, they are laughing AT HER for defending herself. WHAT?! I don't care this is fictional THIS IS NOT FUNNY and its very insensitive. What the heck were the writers thinking?

I mean NO character stands up to defend her, everyone is either mad at her (her parents) or laughing at her for pretending to be a "good Christian girl" and then she nearly shanks a guy. No one is asking WHAT would have happen to her if she hadn't put up a fight? I mean seriously HORRIBLE and disgusting writing. Also NO ONE asks nor belittles the two grown men ready to commit a felony on a fifteen year old girl. ARGH! Whats with the double standards?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The episode is called Caught
"Grace hands in her pompoms after she's caught on tape defending herself against two drunken men. Meanwhile, Amy finds Ben's clingy behavior very irksome."
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
ps. This is more of an upper middle class girl gets knocked up in high school type of thing. The more accurate depiction of teenage pregnancy comes when Rumor Willis plays the role of Heather another pregnant teenager who gets kicked out by her family and SHE is working, going to school and paying rent. THAT is what happened to the girls I knew who became pregnant while in high school. Their parents rarely held their hands and paid for everything for them. I mean at one point Amy (the main character who gets pregnant) thought she was going to go on with her life except that now she would have a baby. She would go to school and her mother would take care of the child during the day and in the afternoon the baby would be clean and fed and she could practice her french horn and on the weekends she could go out with her friends and boyfriend (not the father of the baby). NEWSFLASH. that rarely happens and children aren't cute little dolls you stuff in your locker and see only when its convenient for you. NOPE. I am beginning to regret watching ALL the frigging episodes.

pps. In my defense when am nursing (laying down) I like watching something and I go to hulu and set it up and it continues to play. Don't know how I got hooked in to this show but I did and am upset about it.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I used to watch Discovery at like 2 am when I was nursing..that and Food network. good times chilling on the couch with no one trying to change the channel :)

Modest Style Guide said...

oh thats so sad they really could have used the episode to give people the courage to speak up instead they use it to humiliate, I've watched it online before but it was so much about sex it made me cringe. I'm not a prude or anything but good lord surely there are other things to talk about!

Sarah said...

Tuttie that was back in the day for me *cough cough* like 2 years ago..lool I don't have a tv anymore since we moved. And HULU doesnt always work outside the US :( Oh well I am enjoying a tv free life for now alhumdulillah

hispanic muslimah said...

I hate that show.

Followers