December 29, 2009

So I Googled My Name

In the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Peace be with you السلام عليكم

Things have been happening in our community recently that has everyone on edge. Being the paranoid narcissist that I am, I decided to google my name and was relieved. ALHAMDULILLAH! nothing questionable popped up nor can it be linked to this blog or any other blogs I have. yay! on the down side though I found a picture of me with a group of my friends and I was happy that I was dressed with hijab at the very least. Not that it is too much of a big deal its just that the niqab has become ingrained with my identity so I felt kinda naked without it. Kinda like a peep show.

Anyway I have been wanting to blog with my real name for quite some time now and every time I decide to go public something nasty happens that makes me retreat right back in to my anonymous shell. I have only revealed myself to a couple of you and I want to thank you for respecting my privacy and extending your friendship :) xoxo.

It also got me thinking about the consequences of having your name out there specially if you are looking to get married or looking for a job. I mean your previous employer could google you and find the rant on your blog about getting fired OR your future boss discovers that same rant and reconsiders you. Or your potential spouse can find out about your once-upon-a-time-not-so-halal-boyfriend. Don't believe me? Well check this out...

The internet is a double edged sword on the one hand it gives you so much flexibility and freedom on the other it enslaves your content in perpetuity on either google servers or some other cached server. So 5 to 10 years from now where will that information be? how will it affect you? who will have access to it? or for some of my friends who have some naughty pictures of themselves online, how will you feel if your kid finds it?

anyone know what am talking about?

4 comments:

Toush said...

when i start considering someone as potential hubby, first thing i do is type their name on facebook. and to be honest, that made me discard them. cause i dont get having women on your facebook, who wear barely no clothes. or writing compliments to women, or you are so pretty girllll oh no thanks lol

i love fb for that lol

.::Tuttie::. said...

you know that is exactly why I rejected my bros gf because of some of the content of the pics and I am trying to run a niqab biz. Just don't go together. She can do whatever she wants though am not dictating what she should or should not do. Know that facebook has the setting to hide your friends though it makes it easier to conceal them.

I have been rejecting brothers but that doesn't stop them from trying to befriend me over and over again. At first I would just plain out tell them that I don't accept men as friends but when they continued to try to drag me in to a philosophical and theological discussion I bailed and now I just reject them without letting them know why.

Muslimah said...

I know what you mean. I didnt come up with anything when I Google my name but when i googled my email address i found some stuff that i didnt even know i still had. Alhumdulilah its all gone now.

NtN said...

Definitely a good point and why I keep my birth name close to home. It's sad that we have to protect ourselves so much, but a sign of the times. InshaAllah ta'ala we'll be protected and stay on the Straight Path, ameen.

Followers