December 18, 2009

Servants of Allah: African Muslims Enslaved in the Americas

the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Peace be with you السلام عليكم

Servants of Allah: African Muslims Enslaved in the Americas (New York University Press, 1998) also deals with the experience of Africans in the Americas during slavery. It is the first book to retrace the 500 year-old story of West African Muslim communities in the New World. Named a 1999 Outstanding Academic Book, Servants of Allah also received Honorable Mention for the Outstanding Books Award from the Gustavus Myers Center for the Study of Human Rights.
Has anyone read it? I am thinking of ordering it. From some of the reviews I read that there is some misinformation about Islam in the book but its not too bad. When am finished inshaAllah I will pass on my review of the book.

3 comments:

Maryam said...

Salaamualaikum sis,

How funny.

As we speak, I'm writing a post about one of the African Muslims that was enslaved in America.

I haven't read this book, but there is another book on the same topic. It's named African Muslims of Antebellum, or a similar title to that. It was very good and I'd recommend that one.

AlabasterMuslim said...

I would love to read this book. I always wanted to read a book about African Muslim Slaves. But i want to read one where its not against the Muslims... I just wonder, if there is wrong info about Islam, can the book be credible?

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

That's an interesting topic that I've always wanted to learn more about. Maybe I'll see if the library has a copy...

Followers