December 13, 2009

My Own Niqabs de COLORES!


In the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Peace be with you السلام عليكم

I haven't gotten tired of the same styles and blocks of color in niqabs. Not that there is anything wrong with them is just that I want a change. I am not going to stop wearing my niqab because the selections available are limiting me, I will just make my own. InshaAllah. I have searched and I have found NO ahadith BANNING colors if you have any bring it as I am eager to follow the truth. I found some historical accounts of women wearing colorful outfits and *gasp* colorful niqabs. Like the bedouin below.

Also there is no hadith saying you have to wear ONLY black as it conflicts with the below hadith
recorded by Ahmad, Abu Daw'ud, and Tirmizhi on the authority of Ibn 'Abbas that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "Wear white clothes, for these are your best clothes, and enshroud your dead in them." Tirmizhi considers it a sound hadith.
I think some of the most thorough research on a hijabi fashion blog comes from ILoveHisma.
I have to verify the following hadith but I wanted to share with you if anyone could direct me to a hadith database. The University of South Carolina's database doesn't seem to work right now.

Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari 7.715
...'Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil ...

Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari 7.733
that he had seen Um Kulthum, the daughter of Allah's Apostle(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam), wearing a red silk garment.

Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari 7.713
The Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) was given some clothes including a black Khamisa. The Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) said, "To whom shall we give this to wear?" The people kept silent whereupon the Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) said, "Fetch Um Khalid for me." I (Um Khalid) was brought carried (as I was small girl at that time). The Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) took the Khamisa in his hands and made me wear it and said, "May you live so long that your dress will wear out and you will mend it many times." On the Khamisa there were some green or pale designs (The Prophet saw these designs) and said, "O Um Khalid! This is Sanah." (Sanah in a Ethiopian word meaning beautiful).

Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood #4055, Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As
We came down with the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) from a turning of a valley. He turned his attention to me and I was wearing a garment dyed with a reddish yellow dye. He asked: What is this garment over you? I recognised what he disliked. I then came to my family who were burning their oven. I threw it (the garment) in it and came to him the next day. He asked: Abdullah, what have you done with the garment? I informed him about it. He said: Why did you not give it to one of your family to wear, for there is no harm in it for women.

7 comments:

NtN said...

MashaAllah :) The woman's niqaab looks heavy though!

(Will definitely search for fun niqaabs when back in Qatar...Time ran out :( )

Umaymah said...

assalamu alaykum sis
I didnt realise you wore niqaab too :D

I have been wearing black for years and i must say, i need a change. but, i am very picky with my niqaabs and have been wearing the same one for 3 years coz it fits perfectly. any coloured niqaabs that i have found are never comfortable for me :(

Sweet said...

Nice colour...I would wear this colour. I have worn a light beige niqab then put a black shyla over it.

.::Tuttie::. said...

@ Noor I think her niqab since she is a bedouin also serves the purpose of withstanding powerful winds like in a sandstorm. If I wore my niqab in her area it would flail around and probably strangle me in the process.

Maryam said...

You know niqabs are some of the most difficult things to buy online.

I've been looking for some, but I'm in no such luck.

I know how to sew, so I'm thinking about making some. But that might be a little difficult.

LK said...

I really like the black niqabs with embeleshments. Ones that have embrodery or trim. You could definitely do that yourself and it would spice things up. I can only imagine wearing all black gets a little old.

I saw a burgandy niqab with matching shayla and abaya once. It was really pretty! I also saw a white one. It was stunning, but I bet a lot of people thought she looked like a ghost. Ive also seen a navy blue outfit. So they must exist somewhere.

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

I think that beading on niqabs can also look spectacular. What kinds of niqab do you wear Tuttie? I haven't worn one yet, but the headband style seem more comfortable than the flip ones.

Followers