December 11, 2009

I'VE BEEN BRAINWASHED!


In the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ

Peace be with you السلام عليكم


What were my perceptions of Muslims, Arabs and Islam in general?
  • That they were backwards, dirty, violent people (and this was before 9/11)
  • That the religion spread by the sword (kinda ironic considering what the Spaniards did to Latin America and the MesoAmericans).
  • That they didn't contribute ANYTHING to society.
  • NAME ONE INNOVATION? (NONE as they didn't contribute to society)
  • That they lost Spain because they were fat and lazy
  • That Europeans are sophisticated and civilized NOT like them as they were barbarians.
  • All scientific innovation started with the Greeks and continue onwards with the Europeans and finally Americans.
  • That the best empire to ever exist was the Roman.
  • That the Islamic life cannot be achieved because it is unattainable. Capitalism, however, is where is AT!
I am embarrased to admit that I STILL held some of those misconceptions until TONIGHT! OH SUBHANALLAH! I am so ashamed of that. I owe this awakening to sister Sarah Plain And Short from the blog S.O.S~Save Our Sunnah. As I was watching the documentary I started hearing the same thing as above being given by the Europeans. I bought the bait, hook, line and sinker! SubhanaAllah. All those years of being a history buff for nothing. I was just spitting back what I was thought in school. Even my AP Spanish classes reinforced those same message.

Watching the documentary was eye opening.

MUSLIMS WERE AWESOME!

technically we are STILL awesome but am talking about the historical Muslims. They were so civilized, so clean, so inventive. I WANT MORE! I want to learn more about my ummah and not through translations either. I want to read it in the original Arabic. There were a couple of inconsistencies that my hubs pointed out and a couple of outright LIES but I guess it comes with the territory if Muslims wont produce and are just consumers of documentaries. This ummah is so great there HAS to be talented producers out there that will make films like these for us. We need to start supporting our arts again! They also mentioned that during the Ottoman empire the Ottomans kept Christian scribes around and paid them to write down and copy Muslim writings. I don't know about you but if I was just conquered no matter how benevolent the new overlords might be, I would STILL rebel by messing with their writings. Adding an extra word here or removing a crucial piece there. It could just be my mistrust of using labor of conquered people Allahu Alim.

Do you know what I found super amazing? that the mongols destroyed a lot of the Muslim world (I cried when they ransacked Baghdad and all that knowledge and lives lost) yet in the end they became Muslim. ALLAHU AKBAR! It is truly Allah swt plan. We can plan all we want but ultimately he is the best of planners.

I also cried when the poems of some of the crusaders who massacred the people of Jerusalem were read. One of the poems went like "when the beautiful girls hide their faces in their hands out of shame." I knew what they meant. My only consolation is that inshaAllah those women will be rewarded for their pain, suffering and patience. Also those who were responsible for the blood shed and injustice are already dead and their day of judgment has begun. I DO NOT ENVY THEM.

By the way something not taught in school was that the Crusaders did not kill Muslims ONLY. They ransacked and killed Christians and Jews too. In one account they went into the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and murdered the Christians who were worshiping there. I was confused because I thought there would be some camaraderie since they shared a faith but they only saw the Christians of Jerusalem as "foreigners" which was ironic since THEY were the foreigners. On their way back to Europe they even ransacked Constantinople a Christian strong point.

Anyway I want the Muslims to study their history and realize that we had it going on and if we turn back to Allah we can still have it. Some of us have lost our sense of a global community of our Muslim identity.

Islam: Empire of Faith. Part 1: Prophet Muhammad and rise of Islam


Islam: Empire of Faith. Part 2: The Awakening


Islam: Empire of Faith. Part 3: The Ottomans


Say it with me LA ILAHA ILA ALLAH

7 comments:

Maryam said...

La ilaha ila allah

oh, how I love history.

I will definately be checking this documentary out.

Gracias!

CareMuslimah said...

My fiancé made me check out that doccumentary.. I know girl.. -AMAZING-.. I got chills everytime they talks something good about muslims. I was soooooooo happy+excited o_o'!!!..

it's a GREAT way to show people that the islamic empire was awesome. I was kinda disappointed after the ottomans kicked in.. idk why.. but overal it's a great film :D:D

Sarah said...

Oh yeah, i m curious now, what parts were inaccurate? I haven't watched this in a few yrs.

Sarah said...

aww jazakallah khair Tuttie! im going to have to go and post parts 2&3. I had only uploaded part 1 cuz I was in a hurry. Also thanks for the nice write up on the video! You did much nicer post on this than me :D MashAllah

Anonymous said...

You'll even be more amazed after watching this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq9sGZiEops
Title: The Islamic History of Europe..

AlabasterMuslim said...

Alhamdullilah you were able to get passed those stereotypes!

La ilaha ilallah!

.::Tuttie::. said...

@ first Anon. Thank you for the post I am currently watching a documentary of the crescent and the cross (scary). After am doing I will move to the one you offered. I LOVE DOCUMENTARIES.

@ second anon. I like your input and it is TOTALLY TRUE we forget that to the cunning and corrupt religion could be away for them to achieve their goals. Which is why the Qur'an says in Surah an-Nisa ayah 135:

O you, those who have faith, stand up for justice, witnesses to Allah, even if it is against your own souls or your parents and close family...

(I took the following from a site)That someone is a brother in religion does not mean that we are permitted to condone his wrongdoing. No! This would be haram even if he were a brother in blood. Instead, we have clearly been commanded to stand up for justice, no matter who has done wrong.

The Prophet (saw) also spoke on this issue:

Sahih Bukhari Book 43 #624 - Narrated Anas: Allah's Apostle said, "Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one. People asked, "O Allah's Apostle! It is all right to help him if he is oppressed, but how should we help him if he is an oppressor?" The Prophet said, "By preventing him from oppressing others."

Followers