December 1, 2009

Day 1 of Tajweed and Some Insight

In the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Peace be with you السلام عليكم

I really liked the introduction to all the Muslimness posts so I decided to incorporate it in to my posts from now on. May Allah swt reward sister Zaufishan (she is a sister right?) for the encouragement. So I want to share with you what I learned today (technically I am one day late so I am currently writing the lessons from Monday)

Lesson 1:
1) know which style of recitation you are learning and from whom
mine is the rules of tajweed of the Qur'an for the recitation of Hafs from 'Aasim by the way of Ash-shaatibiyyah. (a 3 part series) Not that the hubs prefers one or the other but he had these books readily available for me and this is the method discussed in the tajweed rules.

2) there are manners when reading the Qur'an
manners of the heart and external manners.

Manners of the Heart

External Manners

Understanding of the origin of the words

Purity of body, clothes and place

placing into the heart the understanding that these words are not the words of man

Seeking refuge from the rejected satan and reading the basmalah.
(not reading when yawning)

Presence of the heart while reading

Avoiding cutting off reading to talk with people

Pondering the meaning

Stopping at an 'aayah of warning and seeking protection with Allah. Also stopping at a verse of mercy and asking The Merciful for His Bounty.

Understanding the meaning

Humbleness and crying when reading

Individualization. This means that the reader feels that every message in the



3)There are 14 places in the Qur'an where we are asked to prostrate. also I learned the symbol commonly used to let the reader know if it is an 'aayah of prostration.

4) Reason for the rules
Guarding the Glorious Qur'an. As the Arabs where mixing with non-Arabs after the spread of Islam, Muslims feared that the Arab tongue would become corrupted. This is why the rules where needed to be recorded to preserve the Qur'an from mistakes and to guarantee the integrity of pronunciation.

5) There are 3 levels of reading Qur'an

just for info as it is not relevant just yet.

6)Principles of Tajweed
One who wishes to learn a science needs to know its principles so that he will gain insight into the sought science. There are several principles in the science of the tajweed that should be understood.

7) tajweed is contingent on four matters
-=Knowledge of the articulation points of the letters
-=Knowledge of the characteristics of the letters
-=Knowledge of what rules change in the letters due to the order of letters
-=Exercising the tongue and a lot of repetition (but not in backbiting)

8) Obvious and clear mistakes as well as obscured and hidden mistakes
END OF LESSON

NOW on to the insight. I was listening to Muhammad Alshareef's speech 21 Teaching Methods of the Prophet (S) (4 CD Set). I am deeply EMBARRASSED and ashamed and I am only through the first cd. I am a lay person and I may have treated people badly and it wasn't in the character of a Muslim. He mentioned that we as an ummah are not in this world to be Allah's swt police and pushing people out of Islam based on our differences. That is up to Allah swt and they may be on a different level of iman and understanding. Why argue if the person is using the siwak or not when they aren't even praying?

Oh Allah swt please forgive me and the Muslims who have fallen into these traps. AMEEN.
Please keep making du'a I am able to memorize, understand and live by the Qur'an AMEEN.

2 comments:

AlabasterMuslim said...

Yay, i'm so happy for you! god, you really seem to be soaking this in, mashallah. I bet your husband is happy about it too. If you know qur'an your son will learn it too inshallah! May Allah bless you all, ameen!

SALMA said...

I bet hubby is a great teacher. My hubs is my teacher too and its cute...I love my moments with him.

Thanks for sharing.

Followers