December 20, 2009

Blood Diamonds...Conflict Diamonds....DEATH Diamonds

In the name of Allah, compassionate & merciful بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Peace be with you السلام عليكم
I just finished watching a National Geographic documentary about blood diamonds or conflict diamonds. I was heartbroken as they showed footage of people being gunned down and it looked like someone may have taken their last breath as another stood over him and just shot him. The brutality of it was just overwhelming and all over a stone.

A diamond maybe forever but a life is PRICELESS. I was so angry watching the footage of all the amputees, men, women, children, young and old. It didn't matter, they had all been maimed or butchered. OVER WHAT?!

D I A M O N D S

As I saw some of the butchered and maimed and recognized thobes, kufis and hijabs I cried for them. I would have cried regardless because a life is a life but realizing that they were my brothers and sisters in Islam and were butchered for the rocks that we shop for was overwhelming. Those rocks that symbolize love and marriage may be tinged with blood.

What is a diamond anyway?
in mineralogy, diamond (from the ancient Greek ἀδάμας - adámas "unbreakable") is an allotrope of carbon, where the carbon atoms are arranged in a variation of the face-centered cubic crystal structure called a diamond lattice.
You know what else is made of carbon? Graphite or LEAD when used in pencil. SO YES a diamond is a glorified carbon.

If I ever buy a diamond I will be buying a synthetic one.
Synthetic diamond is diamond produced in a technological process; as opposed to natural diamond, which is created in geological processes. Synthetic diamond is also widely known as HPHT diamond or CVD diamond, HPHT and CVD being the production methods, high-pressure high-temperature synthesis and chemical vapor deposition, respectively.
I know of one former West Pointer who has a factory making synthetic diamonds and they are indistinguishable from MINED diamonds. Because they are REAL diamonds just compressed in a laboratory as opposed to overtime in the Earth.

I don't know how to fix the problem with blood diamonds which adds to my frustration but I wanted to share with you since it is consuming me right now. When I used to listen to music (like years ago) the song that struck me and would move me in to action was Kanye's song "Diamonds From Sierra Leon Remix" I am not going to paste the whole song.
"Diamonds From Sierra Leone (Remix)"
(feat. Jay-Z)

[Verse 1]
Good Morning, this ain't Vietnam still
People lose hands, legs, arms for real
Little was known of Sierra Leone
And how it connect to the diamonds we own
When I speak of Diamonds in this song
I ain't talkin bout the ones that be glown
I'm talkin bout Rocafella, my home, my chain
These ain't conflict diamonds,is they Jacob? don't lie to me mayne
See, a part of me sayin' keep shinin',
How? when I know of the blood diamonds
Though it's thousands of miles away
Sierra Leone connect to what we go through today
Over here, its a drug trade, we die from drugs
Over there, they die from what we buy from drugs

The diamonds, the chains, the bracelets, the charmses
I thought my Jesus Piece was so harmless
'til I seen a picture of a shorty armless
And here's the conflict
It's in a black person's soul to rock that gold
Spend ya whole life tryna get that ice
On a polo rugby it look so nice
How could somethin' so wrong make me feel so right, right?
'fore I beat myself up like Ike
You could still throw ya Rocafella diamond tonight, 'cause

[Hook]

6 comments:

Sweet said...

Great topic sis. I have written about this on my blog as well and stand firmly behind it.

Was the movie "Cry Freetown"?

.::Tuttie::. said...

no it wasn't it, we watched a national geographic documentary. The footage was real and my husband and I basically watched an execution take place. It rattled us. The violence was brutal.

Stephanie said...

When I lost my wedding diamond (*cry*) I went with a synthetic, partially for this reason. Some jewelers claim their diamonds come from conflict free zones, but I don't believe it. Anyway, my synthetic doesn't exactly look real, but I still get compliments on it. There is also a synthetic called moissenite sp? which is pretty much indestinguishable to the naked eye. It's also almost always set in real gold with a high degree of crafmanship in the setting that also helps the overall look. Almost as pricey as the real thing though.

AlabasterMuslim said...

Makes me think of the diamonds in my wedding ring...i wonder what it took to get those. Inshallah it was harmless...but i have a strong feeling it wasn't. :(

.::Tuttie::. said...

@hispanic muslimah you are right. We see similar parallels in the middle east and asia where the Europeans did just that and the conflicts are still happening. Look at the Kurds, they are basically spread out through multiple countries just because someone randomly chose to make a border where they felt like it and in doing so breaking up tribes.

InsaneInTheMembrane said...

i dont wear diamonds and this is the reason why. it all started with that movie ( called Blood Diamonds) and ever since then i never wore any real diamonds. I wear the ones that you can get from those little fashion stores ( like Claire's and Icing). I think it is just so sad. I was watching tv guide channel and they were talking about how this actress ( dont remember her name) was wearing $5,000 worth of diamonds. I just shook my head and thought " i wonder does she know where those diamonds came from". I have a simple silver wedding ring.

Diamonds are a girl's best friend, my butt!

Followers