November 25, 2009

HouseHusbands

huh. What do you think when you hear 'househusbands'? I watched an episode of a new reality tv househusbands of hollywood that follows the lives of semi rich to rich families and the women are the breadwinners. I have to be honest with you I saw the 6th episode first and I had absolutely NO respect for these men. NONE. I felt they should suck it up and go out and get a job. They are a disgrace.

Anyway I decided to check out the first episode and it changed my view of 4 out of the 5 men on the show. It seem like the wife and husband looked at their finances and careers and realized that the woman had the better career or had advanced longer in that career so the men gave up theirs to help their wives. Oops. Sorry for being judgmental.

It is funny in parts where the man is not only a househusband but a stay at home dad that also handles his wife's beauty line. MashAllah. Tempest (from the cosby show) and her boyfriend Darryl (from its a different world, I think) are there, some MLB guy and his in demand makeup artist wife and some other people I recognize but can't remember their names.

So what do you think when you hear househusbands?

5 comments:

AlabasterMuslim said...

I'm the same - no respect. But say if somehowww the wife is making the like a million dollars a year and the guy is making 20,000.....idk, i don't think i'd mind if my husband didn't work.

ok i know that was a large exaggeration but still. And since that never happens, i just gotta say that i don't have any respect for them.

.::Tuttie::. said...

well, I have respect for them after I watched the first episode and after I realized that they were sacrificing for the sake of their marriage. Not that different from women giving up their careers to raise children. Some of these guys are stay at home dads.

My initial respond wasn't good but you know it works for them and I admire that they were able to set aside their egos and support their wives. mashaAllah.

Hijab Chic said...

I've never heard of that show but honestly, even if I was making a million dollars a year I'd like my husband to have a job - I guess that would be better for his mental health. At least he could work at the mosque for free or for some charity organization. I wouldn't want my husband staying at home all day long, watching TV.. LOL! Well, I don't want to generalize, but I think men get bored so easily, especially if they have to take care of the house, clean up and cook dinner...

Hijab Chic said...

...but maybe some men are able to do this without getting bored or without feeling less a man because the wife makes more money than they do, I don't know :)

ModestJustice said...

Equality.
That's awesome.
If a woman sacrifices her career to be a stay at home mom and usually takes care of the upkeep in a house, why can't a man?

No difference. A SAHM would be extremely bored if she only had to watch T.V all day, but they usually take care of the household and do other things too... so that's what the husband would also do.

Power to them! Woot, woot.

Followers