October 8, 2009

I don't remember ever having a close Jewish friend.

which is weird because as a young latina growing up, I lived in an area HEAVILY populated by ascetic Jews. However, our high school was 80% hispanic and black with a small minority of white students and other ethnicities (is that a word?) but no Jews. They had their own religious school I think they refer them to them as Yeshivas (kinda like a madrassa), and Jewish schools (sorta like catholic schools or islamic schools, not necessarily too religious). All I remember about them is that the women would either wear dark blue or black and the boys wore hats with curls down the side and they would occasionally smile at me...the boys that is. The women were always mean and would look down on me or ignore me. I personally didn't care as I had bigger problems then them.

After coming across Muslim after Muslim who feels that in order to be Muslim you have to hate Jews I get confused. I know this is a generalization and I am only referring to the people who do share in that ideology. They remind me of the patriot who thinks that in order to be an American patriot you have to hate a certain race, ideology or religion and in order to defend the tenets they so believe in they trample all over them. Its funny how these two groups are so similar yet they hate each other as well.

Anyway, I have had A LOT of friends over the years from various different countries, cultures and religions but I never had a Jewish friend. I have had Jewish teachers who would advocate that Yiddish is the proper language for Jews not Hebrew but it never made much sense to me. I never felt the need to hate another group. Maybe it was my harsh upbringing that made me realize I don't like inflicting pain on others or maybe because I am a convert and I am isolated from the tensions between the religions. Oh and another thing I hate. Whenever people know I am Muslim they want me to break down the conflict in Palestine and Israel for them. I DON'T KNOW!!!

I have never been over there and its not my beef! ask me about El Salvador and the civil war and carnage sponsored by American tax payers. Ask me about the school of the americas in Fort Benning Georgia and how they teach systematic torture and terrorism to the central/south american soldiers who go back and torture and kill their country men. Ask me about Islam and I can tell you. I feel bad for ALL people living under oppression. Not just Muslims. I feel for the children the most as they always suffer for our stupidity. ALWAYS. I feel bad for the women who are trapped in these cycles of violence. I make dua for everyone.

/rant over.

3 comments:

NtN said...

Ooo, the peyls!!! Yeshivas are like the qur'an madrasas, only obviously for the torah, talmud, etc. I think studying the mishna and gemora, with the accompanying rabbinical dialogue, is the majority of what they do, at least for the higher levels. Day schools have their own name, but I can't remember it for the life of me.

Honestly, as a former Jew, not all Jews are evil. Not all Jews are Zionists. However, as a former teacher/teacher's assistant for a weekend school...A lot of what Muslims say Jews teach has been true in my experience. Maybe it was just the temple we went to though...we had a lot of holocaust survivors.

There's no need for hate between either group, but with the notorious Chosen Person Syndrome, a lot of Muslims feel like Jews sneer down their noses and that makes them feel all prickly inside, so then they're jerks back. All it takes is a smile, inshaAllah.

Good post!!!

.::Tuttie::. said...

@ Noor. I don't believe any group of people are evil. PERIOD. I think a lot of the issues with the Jewish girls was because of the way the boys would try to make contact with us girls. I never felt disrespected by an adult Jewish woman. The first time I have ever been mistreated was earlier this year but I don't attribute her to her religion because if she was a practicing Jew she wouldn't have done what she did.

@LK I actually never paid much attention to religion until I left the comfort of my community and started getting discriminated for my looks, religion and ethnicity. Prior to that I was not even aware what religion people belonged to I would just waltz up to them and be friendly.

.::Tuttie::. said...

@ Al. LOL. How did they get a pic of me in a "burqini" I do not own? LOL

Followers