October 4, 2009

I am a lazy dawah person

I LOVE Islam and everything about it. I can spend ages just reading Islamic books on fiqh or listening to speech after speech, or marvel at the miracles of the quran or discuss them with other people.

That being said, I don't particularly enjoy initiating dawah moments. If someone comes up to me and tells me that they believe in x,y or z I don't debate them. That's what they believe. If they ask me what I believe in I will no doubt tell them. I don't do debating. So far the people I have seen who want to debate really have no interest in learning about the religion but rather to be proven "right", so I avoid them. When I came to Islam I had NO Muslim friends or people to come talk to me about the religion at all. I also didn't feel that I needed to debate anyone. I simply took my library card and went to the library or hit the net and educated myself.

I found all the information I needed to make an informed decision albeit the person most instrumental in me becoming Muslim was a Christian theologian who despised Islam and used to be my mentor. She was very upset when I became Muslim and I lost all contact with her but it wasn't because I didn't try. So because of this I feel that people will no doubt come to Islam if they so choose to and I don't need to knock on their doors. period. I do make duah for them though.

I feel that I give dawah by my character and how I interact with the world also by
  1. not littering,
  2. by being polite,
  3. by being helpful,
  4. by being an active member of our joint community
  5. by picking hazardous things from the path,
  6. wearing a proper hijab,
  7. by treating them as a human being,
  8. by not being a maniac when I drive,
  9. by not biting their heads off when they have questions and the list goes on.
During the time of the sahaba people would become Muslim just by observing the character and integrity of the sahaba. SO I try to follow it, I try to live my life according to Islam...so walk the walk before you start the talk. Is that so wrong?

4 comments:

NtN said...

That's probably one of the best ways to make dawah. MashaAllah, may Allah SWT reward you to the highest for your efforts!!!

AlabasterMuslim said...

Alhsmdullilah i do the same thing. And i try and watch what i say. Like if say i'm angry at my husband, and i want to say something snide, i catch myself because even if no one would usually hear me, they are totally paying special attention.

.::Tuttie::. said...

I did study Christianity in depth before I became Muslim so I usually call them out when they are straight up lying. By that I mean they are saying things that aren't in the bible or is not part of the Christian tradition. I feel that we are all responsible for our own salvation and we should research those options.

In the end though we are only messengers and the hearts are in the hands of Allah swt, who can do with them as He pleases. I just hope I wont be responsible on the day of judgment.

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

I think your approach is the best one. I'm up for learning, but I don't enjoy people just trying to argue to get their points across. I think that people will be a lot more inclined to listen to what you have to say if your life reflects a lot of caring toward others and respect.

You are right too that it is only God who is capable of opening a person's heart. We can share what he has done for us and what we have learned, but in the end you can't push someone into or out of any faith.

Followers