October 18, 2009

How do they do it?

I want to go to back to school and formally learn sewing and pattern making. The closest school for that is FIT in NYC but I don't know how I could get it done. I already run 4 blogs, 4 websites & forums, I have an 11 month old son, a patient and encouraging hubs and no money. I would also feel so guilty for taking time away from my little dude. Before I had my little dude I wanted to go back to school but I delayed it even though hubs was constantly reminding me to make my move.

Now I don't see how I could do it. I mean the blogs and sites don't take up too much of my time and I can even do them while nursing and taking care of my son. The schooling I don't know.

I am sure other women out there have done more things with even less resources so it is only a matter of learning what worked for them. I worked most of my life in a factory so I know how to run one, make patterns and I know how to sew. However, I want a clothing line in the future and I want it done professionally. Any advice?

4 comments:

NtN said...

Sleep deprivation only hurts for so long; then your body adjusts.

There's a sister in Milwaukee who's working on her masters in mechanical engineering with a 2(ish?) year old, a husband who's working on his ph.d in computer engineering, and still manages to make amazing food for sisters' events, have a beautiful clean home, and make dinner every night. MashaAllah!

May Allah SWT help you in your endeavors, may He bless you in your works, and may He give you success in this life and the next, ameen. :)

LK said...

Night and weekend classes. It will take you a while doing it 1 or 2 classes at a time but it is possible. Also depends on whether you are getting your masters or undergrad. There are less night and weekend courses for undergrad students but a lot for graduate students. I guess they assume grad students are working while in school but undergrads are not. You might be able to get a scholarship or two as well. Or a grant. And there are the dreaded student loans O_O

Also I was informed that if you have your BA/BS already you can audit undergrad courses for free at some schools. The class doesn't have to match your undergrad. You would need to call the schools and inquire.

FIT is pretty cool (I'm looking into going there myself. Not sure if they have what I need though) and they have a lot of non-traditional/ non-full time student courses in general. Definitely worth the look. I'm sure there are also lesser known schools in NYC that have good design programs as well that would cater to a busy schedule. Parsons (aka the New School) is awesome but ubber expensive :(. So is Columbia and NYU. I'm sure something smaller/less exclusive has to have a good design program as well. Like Queens College or St. Johns

If I find something in my hunt I will let you know. That is, if I survive the GRE O_O Good Luck!

Kiddy said...

It goes to show how different we all are, sewing is something I detest so bad that the mere thought of it drives me up th wall, it irritates me so bad.What one thing really bugs you?

I'm glad that you love this one thing beside hubby and baby.I realize you love them because you write about them constantly, and in no way should you neglect them to attend FIT.Yo will live to regret it if you do.Instead teach little dude about the mystery of life.Now there is a category I don't mind discussing,it's so exciting,I usually can hardly contain myself nor handle the suspense.

AlabasterMuslim said...

Inshallah you will figure out a way! Allah (swt) can make anything happen, no matter how impossible it may seem! (but you know this :D )


My mom use to take my brothers and myself to college and just give us paper to draw on.

Followers