September 8, 2009

Is anyone doing I'tikaaf?


I got this in my email today and wanted to share. Also is anyone going to attempt and inshaAllah complete I'tikaaf? I have tried doing something similar before but in my house but I doubt it will be possible with a little dude running around.

I wonder if any sister has ever completed it at the masjid? How where the logistics? If anyone does it can you share your experience with us afterward? It would be TOTALLY AWESOME!!!


Here's a quick I'tikaaf overview
I'tikaaf is to seclude oneself in the Masjid for the purpose of worshipping Allah. Rasul Allah, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, did it in Ramadan for the last 10 nights. Here are 5 quick tips:

1. I'tikaaf is, by definition, to be performed in the Masjid.
2. Leaving the Masjid breaks one's I'tikaaf.
3. Don't talk/entertain yourself. I'tikaaf is meant for worship.
4. You can do I'tikaaf for any period of time, any time of the day.
5. In a year, when else will you dedicate time for Allah like this? Try it. Bonus: If you can't do it everyday, try weekends or at least some days. With best wishes to see you succeed at the highest level!
- Muhammad Alshareef

3 comments:

.::Tuttie::. said...

jazakaAllah khayr. I didn't know they could leave the masjid. Please ask him as I am interested in the experiences of others, especially when it comes to Islamic worship.

NtN said...

Salaam alykom,
I did a brief i'tikaf last year for laylatul qadr. The masjid encouraged everyone to come and stay for it. Basically, we did our tarawih prayers and then everyone hung out and read qur'an, worked on reciting with the women more knowledgeable than them, ate food, slept if they were tired, prayed (obviously), and made a ton of du'a. There was a nice suhoor that some of the older sisters brought, everyone prayed witr together, and then everyone prayed fajr. Some choosed to stay on for longer periods of time, others of us went home and slept.

To my knowledge, people can leave the masjid to eat or use the restroom...

.::Tuttie::. said...

@ Stacy. I am just beginning to understand all those mothers who told me to take advantage of my time before children arrive. I am just now seeing the wisdom there. I wish I could do it but honestly I don't think it will be very comfortable for me as my 10 month old is still primarily breastfed and eats some food but mainly he just nurses. If I am a live when he is a little older or can understand I would want to go and spend at least one night there.

@NoortheNinjabi. that sounds B E A U T I F U L! I thought people could leave as well, i guess some people are more strict about the conditions than others. Jazakallah khayr for sharing your story.

Followers